The Pilates, Yoga, and Tai Chi Energy-Boosting Workout
Circuit 31. Warrior 1
- Stand with feet 3 to 4 feet apart.
- Turn left foot out 90 degrees, pointing to left side, and pivot right foot toward left.
- Bend left knee 90 degrees, knee aligned with ankle; turn hips to face over left thigh.
- Place hands on hips (easier) or raise both arms overhead, palms facing each other (more challenging).
- Hold for 7 to 10 breaths. Go directly to Tuck and Extend.
Strengthens: Arms, Chest, Glutes; Stretches Hips
- From Warrior 1, sweep arms down to touch floor on either side of left foot.
- Step both feet back behind you.
- Inhale, then exhale as you lift right foot off the floor and sweep knee under body (not shown).
- Straighten right leg behind you, lifting it as high as you can, then bring knee back toward nose.
- To make it easier, bring right knee to floor before straightening leg.
- Do 7 to 10 reps; go directly to Slow Kick.
Strengthens: Glutes, Chest, Shoulders; Stretches Hamstrings
- Lower right foot and walk hands back, rolling up to standing position.
- Lift right leg, knee bent 90 degrees; bend elbows 45 degrees, palms down (not shown).
- Slowly kick forward with right foot, leading with the heel; at the same time, slowly push palms forward.
- Lower and repeat.
- Do 7 to 10 reps.
- To make it easier, keep standing leg slightly bent and hands on hips.
- Repeat entire series on opposite leg.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)