The 10-Week Half-Marathon Training Guide
Running Gear and MotivationMust-Have Running Gear
Sport these easy pieces to make your race a breeze.
1. The airy, sweat-wicking Craft Cool Mesh Tee has side and back mesh panels. ($45, craft-usa.com)
2. The Nike Swift U-Back Women's Sports Bra has adjustable padded straps, smooth seams, and a back clasp to ban the bounce. ($50, nike.com)
3. Bust gusts without getting weighed down; this superlight Windrunner Vest by Alo also has pockets for your ID and other necessities. ($49, alosport.com)
4. The North Face Better Than Naked shorts, with built-in briefs, are soft and next-to-nothing light; they have a back zip slot and two extra pockets to stash your stuff in. ($50, thenorthface.com)
5. Bear starting-line chills in New Balance NBx Arm Sleeves with thumb holes. Bonus: Store your MP3 player in a ready-made slot. ($25, newbalance.com)Motivation to Move It
Steal these stay-psyched strategies from other women who've logged the miles.
Put it in writing. "I have friends write inspirational words on my arms so I can read them when things get tough on the course."
-- Katie Sturtevant, 25, Columbia, Maryland
Get racing stripes. "I paint my nails red, like warrior paint!"
-- Teresa Przetocki, 28, St. Petersburg, Florida
Recruit an imaginary running partner."To get through the long runs, I dedicate each mile to someone special in my life. I focus on that person for the entire mile, and it inspires me not to let them down."
-- Katy Crawshaw Swab, 42, Acworth, Georgia
Talk it out. "I tell myself to run like I stole something, and it gives me a pick-me-up."
-- Laurie Hilke, 40, Brunswick, OhioGet a Running Buddy
"I ran the MORE/FITNESS half in 2010, but this time I'm doing it to raise money for the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp," says FITNESS sales account director Susan Sagan Levitan.
Make FITNESS fashion assistant Marla Horenbein, 22, your running buddy as she trains for the MORE/FITNESS Women's Half-Marathon. "Short jogs have always been my way to de-stress, but after a recent breakup, I wanted to do something bigger."
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, February 2011.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)