Pre-Race Power Meals for Runners
No Cream-No Cry Penne Alla Vodka
"This dish, from my new book, Now Eat This! 150 of America's Favorite Comfort Foods All Under 350 Calories, is just as good as the original," says FITNESS advisory board member Rocco DiSpirito, who completed the 2009 Ironman World Championship 70.3.
Makes: 4 servingsIngredients
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 cups low-fat marinara sauce
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 7-ounce container 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 9 minutes; drain.
- While pasta is cooking, bring marinara sauce and crushed red pepper to simmer in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Cook sauce, stirring it occasionally with a heat-resistant rubber spatula, until it is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove saute pan from heat.
- Stir about 1/2 cup marinara sauce into yogurt until smooth (this prevents yogurt from curdling). Then whisk yogurt mixture back into saute pan with remaining sauce.
- In a large bowl, toss sauce with drained penne and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Nutrition facts per serving: 320 calories, 18g protein, 55g carbohydrate, 4.8g fat (2g saturated), 6g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.