Targets butt and legs
- Stand with feet together, arms by sides. Step forward with right leg and hinge forward at hips as you reach both arms overhead, interlacing fingers and pointing forefingers up.
- Simultaneously lift extended left leg behind so that body is as close to parallel to floor as possible from fingertips to left foot. Hold for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return to start, switch legs and repeat. Then repeat sequence.
Targets shoulders, butt, quads, and calves
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms by sides.
- Squat until thighs are parallel to floor as you reach arms forward. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, then return to start.
- Rise up on balls of feet (heels off floor) and lower into squat, knees bent 90 degrees, as you reach arms forward at shoulder level. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds; return to start.
- Repeat sequence.
- Stand with feet about 3 feet apart, toes of right foot turned out 90 degrees, left foot 45 degrees; extend arms out to sides at shoulder level palms down.
- Shift body weight over right leg and bend right knee 90 degrees as you side bend to right, chest facing forward, and reach right hand to floor, left arm toward ceiling (left leg remains straight).
- Look up toward ceiling and hold for 20 seconds. Return to start. Switch sides and repeat.
- Repeat again on each side.
Targets back, arms, butt, and legs
- Lie facedown on floor with arms by sides, palms up, and legs extended on floor behind you.
- Lift chest and arms off floor as you squeeze glutes and lift thighs off floor, bending knees slightly. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Lower, rest for 20 seconds and repeat.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, March 2012.