So Long, Sarong! Get a Beach-Ready Body
Circuit 3: Jiggle-Free Thighs1. Deep Side Lunge
- Stand with feet parallel and hip-width apart, holding one dumbbell horizontally between both hands at chest height, elbows bent.
- Take a slow but giant step (at least 2 feet) out to the right side.
- Keep both feet on the same line (not shown).
- Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee aligned over second toe.
- Place dumbbell on ground by right foot and hold for 2 counts.
- Step back to start.
- Repeat side lunge to right, this time picking up the dumbbell.
- Continue deep side lunges for 1 minute, lowering weight and picking it up; switch sides and repeat.
Cardio Burst (intermediate/advanced only): Plyo Step Lunge. Stand on bench with arms at sides. Touch right toes to ground behind you, bringing arms overhead. Bring right foot up and lower arms, then quickly switch sides, hopping left foot down while raising arms. Continue, switching sides explosively, for 1 minute.2. One-Legged Deadlift
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and hold dumbbells with palms facing up in front of thighs.
- Find your balance and bend right knee behind you (not shown).
- Lean forward, lowering torso parallel to ground while lifting right leg behind you.
- Keep left knee slightly bent, thigh contracted and back straight, bringing weights toward ground. (Beginner option: Rest weights on step.)
- Return to standing and repeat for 1 minute; switch sides and repeat.
Cardio Burst (everyone): Plyo Step Lunge; 2 minutes.3. Balancing Hamstring/Biceps Curl
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and parallel, holding weights at sides with palms up (not shown).
- Curl weights toward shoulders while lifting left heel toward your butt.
- Hold for 2 counts, squeezing heel toward glutes, then lower foot toward ground without touching; at the same time, lower arms to start.
- Repeat for 1 minute; switch sides.
Cardio Burst (intermediate/advanced only): Plyo Step Lunge; 1 minute.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, June 2006.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)