Blade Kiss and Circles
What you'll need: A desk, a chair, and a pen
Targets: Shoulders, upper back
- Sit straight on chair with feet and legs together, abs engaged, arms extended at shoulder level in front of you, palms down.
- Draw shoulder blades together to make them "kiss"; relax shoulders. Do 5 reps.
- Keeping arms extended, make 10 apple-size circles with hands. Do combo 8 times.
- Stand with feet together behind chair, holding onto its back with both hands.
- Lift heels off floor to rise up on tiptoe, squeezing thighs together.
- Keeping abs engaged, back straight, and heels up, rotate lower body to left.
- Bend knees slightly and move body down and up 1 inch; do for 1 minute.
- Lower heels. Repeat, rotating to right. (For an extra challenge, place a piece of paper between thighs, and don't drop it!)
Targets: Shoulders, triceps, back
- Sit up straight on edge of chair with feet and legs together, abs engaged, arms extended behind you, palms in.
- Squeeze arms in against chair back; release. Do 10 reps. On last squeeze, move arms up and down 1 inch; do 10 reps.
Leg Curl and Press
Targets: Butt, hamstrings
- Sit up straight on left side of chair's edge with feet together, abs engaged.
- Bend left knee (calf beside chair, parallel to floor), and place pen behind it.
- Hold sides of chair, flex left foot, and curl left heel up toward seat. Do 5 reps.
- Holding curl, press left leg back 5 times; repeat circuit. Switch legs; repeat.
Targets: Obliques, hips
- Stand behind chair, right hand on its back, left hand behind head, elbow out.
- Raise right heel off floor, bend left knee and lift out to side at hip level 20 times.
- Keeping left knee raised, bring left shoulder toward hip; release. Do 20 reps. Switch sides; repeat combo.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, October 2008.