You are here
Sculpt Sexy Arms: The Resistance Band Workout
Your 6-Move Plan
Craving the carved shoulders and sleek sleeveless look that's all over the red carpet this season? Then we have one word for you: rubber. "Resistance bands are an easy, portable way to target more arm muscles simultaneously," says Brynn Jinnett, the founder of the Refine Method studio in New York City, whose sought-after band workouts have the well-honed tossing out their dumbbells. Try Jinnett's six awesome firmers — add 30-second bursts of jumping jacks or other heart-thumpers after every other move to maximize your calorie burn — and it's hello, arm candy!
Targets biceps, butt, and legs
- Holding one end of band in right hand, stand with feet shoulder-width apart, right foot stepping on other end of band.
- Lunge back with left leg, crossing left foot behind right leg and bending both knees 90 degrees (as if doing a curtsy) as you curl right hand toward shoulder. Return to start.
- Do 12 reps; switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Targets shoulders, and abs
- Anchor center of band in doorjamb at chest level and stand with left side of body facing door, feet shoulder width apart. Hold ends of bands with both hands clasped together against chest and step sideways away from door until you feel tension in band.
- With knees slightly bent, extend arms forward and hold for 10 counts; return arms to chest.
- Do 3 reps; switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Targets shoulders and triceps
- Anchor center of band in doorjamb at chest level and kneel on right knee, facing away from door and holding a band end in each hand, arms by sides.
- Extend arms overhead with palms facing each other and, keeping elbows fixed in place, bend arms to lower fists behind head.
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Targets chest and biceps
- Anchor center of band in doorjamb at chest level and stand with back facing door, holding a band end in each hand, elbows bent so that fists are in front of chest. Step forward until you feel tension in band.
- Step left leg back to get into a staggered stance; hinge forward slightly from hips.
- Maintaining position, press both bands forward; then bring elbows back to start. Repeat.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
Side Plank Pull-Down
Targets shoulders, triceps, back, and abs
- Anchor center of band in doorjamb at chest level and hold both ends in left hand. Lie on floor on right side so that top of head is facing door.
- Get into side plank position, propping up torso on right elbow with hips and legs stacked and hips lifted off floor.
- Extend left arm toward ceiling, palm facing away from door, and slowly lower arm to left hip. Raise arm and repeat.
- Do 10 reps; switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Lunge and Row
Targets shoulders, back, biceps, abs, and legs
- Anchor center of band in doorjamb at chest level and stand facing door, holding a band end in each hand. Step back with right leg into a staggered stance so there is enough tension in band when arms are extended forward at chest level.
- Bend knees and lower into a static lunge as you draw elbows behind you, squeezing shoulder blades together. Return to standing, extending arms forward.
- Do 12 reps; switch legs and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, February 2013.