You are here
Kettlebell Workout for Beginners
What you'll need: An 8- to 12-pound kettlebell (Premium bell, $29 to $35, power-systems.com)
Targets: Shoulders, back, abs, obliques, and hips
- Holding handle of kettlebell in right hand, arms by sides, stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Bend right elbow by side to bring right hand in front of shoulder so that ball of kettlebell rests on front of forearm.
Targets: Back, arms, abs, and obliques
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding handle of kettlebell in both hands, arms extended at waist level in front of you.
- Release left hand so you're gripping handle with right hand.
Targets: Shoulders, back, hips, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, holding handle of kettlebell with both hands, arms in front of thighs, palms in.
- Squat, keeping chest open and back flat, and hinge forward from hips as you swing kettlebell with control through legs behind you.
Targets: Shoulders, arms, butt, and hamstrings
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, toes turned out 45 degrees, with kettlebell on floor between legs, arms by sides.
- Squat, keeping chest open and abs engaged, as you grip handle of kettlebell with right hand, palm in.
Targets: Shoulders, back, arms, abs, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding sides of kettlebell handle with both hands in front of chest, elbows bent by sides, palms in.