What You'll Need: A mat
Targets: Abs and legs
Lie faceup on mat with knees bent 90 degrees, legs lifted,
calves parallel to floor.
Place hands behind head, elbows out, and crunch up, lifting
shoulders off mat.
Extend legs diagonally up, cross ankles, and extend arms overhead. Holding this position, switch feet over and under each other 8 times. Return to start.
Do 8 reps.
- Lie faceup on mat with knees bent 90 degrees, legs lifted,
Targets: Abs, obliques, hips, and butt
- Lie faceup on mat with knees bent, feet hip-width apart on floor, arms by sides.
- Extend right leg straight up toward ceiling, engage abs, and lift hips off floor, forming a straight line from left knee to shoulder.
- Raise arms straight over shoulders. Make 8 small circles with right leg. Switch direction of circles; repeat. Lower.
- Switch legs and repeat.
Targets: Back, arms, abs, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms overhead, palms in.
- Lunge forward with left leg, knee bent 90 degrees, keeping right leg straight and leaning forward slightly from hips as you lower arms behind you.
Targets: Shoulders, back, abs, obliques, hips, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Step right leg behind and to left of left leg, bending both knees 90 degrees (to curtsy) as you lift arms overhead, palms in.
Targets: Back, arms, abs, butt, and legs
- Stand with legs more than shoulder-width apart, feet turned out 45 degrees.
- Squat, keeping knees above ankles, as you bring both hands below waist in front of you, elbows slightly bent, palms up.
- Push off right leg as you straighten left leg, lifting right foot to place it on inside of left thigh, and sweep arms overhead (elbows slightly bent, palms in). Return to squat.
- Do 15 reps; switch legs and repeat.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, May 2009.