I like the really generous side-stretching in this modified half-crunch. (When I first tried this move, I had a buddy hold my feet still at first until I got the motion down -- it was helpful to have her watch my form and correct the angle of my back.)
- Sit on the floor and extend your legs, pressing them firmly together.
- Lean back 45 degrees from the hips.
- Keep your abs engaged as you bring both your arms overhead like a ballerina.
- Slowly twist your torso to the right, placing your right arm on the mat. Keep your left arm reaching overhead for a slow count of 3.
- Repeat the movement, keeping your left arm on the floor, and keeping your butt and heels on the floor.
- Contract your abs to support your spine as you return to center, bringing both arms overhead.
- Continue alternating sides. Do 2 sets of 6 to 8 reps on each side.