Healthy Recipes from the Diet Detective
Healthy Chicken-Vegetable 100 Percent Whole-Grain Lasagna
Health Perks: Packed with fiber, protein, vitamin C (about 70 percent of daily needs), vitamin A, calcium, iron, and the antioxidant lycopene.
What It Replaces: A serving of traditional lasagna can top 1,000 calories, and it doesn't have as much fiber.
- 1 ounce chopped dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Vidalia onion (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless and boneless chicken breast (sliced into tiny chunks)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup liquid from mushrooms
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 9 strips of 100% whole-durum wheat lasagna (ready to cook)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded, low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- Place mushrooms in a bowl and cover with 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Let them sit 15-20 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, stir and add a pinch of salt. Saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini, squash, and another pinch of salt. Spray the vegetables with the cooking spray and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Move the vegetables to one side and add the chicken with a pinch of salt. Slowly mix the two and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat, and boil until about half the liquid has evaporated. Add the broccoli, the mushrooms, and their reserved liquid and another pinch of salt. Wait for half the liquid to evaporate again (approximately 5 minutes). Stir in the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. and lightly coat the bottom of a 19-x-13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a little tomato-veggie sauce on the bottom of the pan and top with 3 noodles side by side. Cover with 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layering twice more, finishing with a layer of mozzarella. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top.
- Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray and completely cover the pan, sprayed-side down. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition: (8-ounce slice) 302 calories, 7.5g fat, 27g carbs, 27g protein, 5g fiber, 618mg sodium
Prep and Cooking Time: 1 hour
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)