Healthy Recipes from the Diet Detective
Pages in this Story:
- 100 Percent Whole-Grain Blueberry-Banana Muffins
- Healthy Chicken-Vegetable 100 Percent Whole-Grain Lasagna
- Guiltless Potato Fries
- 100 Percent Whole-Grain Egg White French Toast
100 Percent Whole-Grain Blueberry-Banana Muffins
Finding great-tasting recipes that are also healthful is not easy, even though there are thousands on the Internet. The following dishes have been tested and retested in our very own kitchens so that you can cook and eat them with confidence.100 Percent Whole-Grain Blueberry-Banana Muffins
Health Perks: Delicious 100 percent whole-grain muffins that are low in calories and packed with fiber, protein, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B-6.
What They Replace: Traditional blueberry muffins are 400 calories or more and have little nutritional value.
- 1 1/2 cups 100% whole-grain flour
- 1/2 cup 100% whole-grain oats
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 egg whites slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 6 very ripe bananas
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray, or use muffin liners. Put rolled oats in a food processor until ground -- 10-20 seconds. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl mash the banana and combine it with the blueberries, milk, egg whites, vanilla, oil, and honey. Stir in flour mixture and spoon into muffin cups until about 3/4 full. Bake 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
Nutrition: (One 3-ounce muffin) 174 calories, 3.2g fat, 34g carbs, 4g protein, 4.6g fiber, 340mg sodium
Cooking and Prep Time: 45 minutes
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.