Healthy Airplane Food: DietDetective.com Annual Airline Snacking and Onboard Food Survey with Health Ratings for 2007
Cooperation in Providing Nutritional Information: Not very helpful
Health Score: (**) There are snacks sold individually and a Snack Box. Both choices are relatively high in calories.
Best Bet: Pick the Good Sense Snack Mix over the Pringles -- it's more satisfying and gives you more energy. But beware, these are not portion-controlled. Split the mix with three or more people. If you're on a flight lasting more than two hours, you can also purchase the "Smartsnack" Snack Box. The Snack Box is a better option because each item is individually wrapped, which gives you portion control. If you're on a flight to/from Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, or the Caribbean, Northwest offers sandwiches, which you can preorder; however, the airline didn't provide any information.
Total Snack Calories: 680 (Snack Box), see individual snacks below.
Exercise Equivalents: (Amount of walking to burn off the calories) Entire snack box, 177 minutes, individual snacks are listed below.
Cost: $2 per snack, $5 per Snack Box, $5 per sandwichSnack Choices (snack basket)
Individually sold snacks:
- Good Sense Snack Mix (raisin nut mix) 4.5 ounces, 435 calories, 113 minutes
- Pringles original 2.8 ounces, 480 calories, 125 minutes
Snack Box (flights of two hours or more):
- Pepperidge Farm Parmesan Goldfish Crackers (0.75 ounces, 90 calories)
- Sonoma Valley Trail Mix "carb wise" (2 ounces, 320 calories per serving)
- Chips Ahoy Thin Crisps (0.81 ounces, 100-calorie pack)
- Glacier Ridge Farms white cheddar cheese sticks (2) (0.5 ounces each, 66 calories total)
- O'Brien's Premium Hickory Smoked Beef Summer Sausage (1.125 ounces, 110 calories)
- Venus Stoned Wheat Wafers (0.5 ounces, 60 calories)
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.