Makes: 6 to 8 servings
2 cups dry red beans or dry kidney beans
5 cups cold water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups chopped onions
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
4 cups water
1 6-3/4-ounce package Spanish rice, cooked
Fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
1. Rinse beans; drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and the 5 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Rinse and drain beans.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook pork in two batches; drain fat.
4. Coat a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add beans, pork, onions, garlic, and cumin. Pour in the 4 cups water; stir.
5. Cover; cook on low heat 10 to 11 hours.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and pork. Serve beans over rice, and spoon liquid over the top. Garnish with sliced jalapeno.
Nutrition facts per serving: 344 calories, 19g protein, 68g carbohydrate, 1g fat (0g saturated), 17g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.