Makes: 5-6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
8 ounces dried whole wheat blend spaghetti, broken in half
1 cup pasta sauce
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large zucchini (about 12 ounces), unpeeled and shredded (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 ounce sliced turkey pepperoni (about 10 slices), coarsely chopped, optional
4 large eggs
1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil or coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan. Stir in the pasta sauce and set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the zucchini and basil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Stir the cooked zucchini, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni as desired into the pasta until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and milk in a bowl. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the spaghetti, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutrition facts per serving (1 piece): 310 calories, 21g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 11g fat (4g saturated), 4g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.