Comfort Foods Without the Calories
Slimmed Skillet Lasagna
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked bulk turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups jarred spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups dried lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender, breaking up the meat. Drain off fat. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Stir in uncooked noodles and zucchini. Return to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 12 minutes, or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Drop the cheese mixture by the spoonful into 6 mounds over sausage-noodle mixture in the skillet. Sprinkle each mound with mozzarella. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese mixture is heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: 221 calories, 17g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 8g fat (3g saturated), 3g fiber
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, April 2007.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.