Chicken Again? Yes!
Chicken with Chunky Vegetable Sauce
Juicy diced tomatoes, oregano, and artichoke hearts provide great taste as well as cancer protection and increased immunity in this Mediterranean-inspired dish.
Start to finish: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons drained capers or 2 tablespoons chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Pitted ripe olives (optional)
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in flour to coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in garlic; push mixture to sides of pan. Add chicken. Cook 4 minutes, or until brown, turning once. Add tomatoes, artichokes, broth, and pepper; stir.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken.
- Simmer tomato mixture, uncovered, about 3 minutes, or until reduced to desired consistency. Stir in capers and oregano. Serve the chicken over rice; top with sauce. If desired, garnish with olives.
Per serving: 341 calories, 33g protein, 36g carbohydrate, 6g fat (1g saturated), 5g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)