6 Dishes That Slash 1,000 Calories Off Your Meal
Smashed PotatoesServe Truffled Smashed Red Potatoes...
...instead of mashed potatoes
Truffle oil is made by, well, soaking truffles in olive oil -- meaning it has all the same heart-healthy monounsaturated fat as olive oil, with the pungent, earthy flavor of truffles. Note: This stuff is strong, so use it sparingly!
Calories saved: 90
Grams of fat saved: 6 (4g saturated)
Makes: 6 3/4-cup servings
- 1 3/4 pounds large red potatoes, with peel, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white truffle oil
- 1 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring potatoes and 6 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add buttermilk, scallion, garlic, and butter. Let simmer uncovered over low heat for 5 minutes, or until hot.
- Drain potatoes; add to a medium bowl. Whisk truffle oil into warm buttermilk mixture; add to potatoes.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Season with salt to taste.
Per serving: 150 calories, 4g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 2g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.