6 Dishes That Slash 1,000 Calories Off Your Meal
Onion GravyServe Caramelized Onion Gravy...
...instead of traditional giblet gravy
There's no need to add fat to gravy when pureed caramelized onions are providing the flavor, body, and creaminess.
Calories saved: 48
Grams of fat saved: 4 (2g saturated)
Makes: 6 1/3-cup servings
- 1/2 recipe Caramelized Onions, below (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dry rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- In a blender, puree all ingredients until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan.
- Bring just to a boil over high heat while stirring. Season to taste.
Per serving: 52 calories, 2g protein, 10g carbohydrate, 1g fat (0g saturated), 2g fiber.Caramelized Onions
Makes about 2 1/2 cupsIngredients
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 large (10 ounces each) white onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir often for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Chill until use in Caramelized Onion Gravy.
Per cup: 234 calories, 6g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 5g fat (0g saturated), 9g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.