Eat Carbs for Breakfast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line the cups of a standard (11-by-14-1.5 inch) muffin pan with paper liners or coat the cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Make a well in the center; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 5 ingredients. Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients and stir until mix is just moistened and batter is still slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into muffin cups until each is three-quarters full.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are light golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a rack, then remove from pan to cool completely.
Per muffin: 180 calories, 3 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)