Follow us on Pinterest
Welcome! Log In | Register |
Log In with

The 10 Healthiest Party Foods: A Holiday Party Guide

Avoid party pig-out with our guide to the healthiest low-calorie finger foods. Here's what to dip, what to sip, and which foods you should feel free to pile onto your plate at your next cocktail party.

  • Comment Comments (0)
  • Print Print
Bruschetta
Mike Dieter
Mike Dieter
Chris Gallo
Scott Little
Tina Rupp
Blaine Moats
Melissa Punch
Stockfood
Kim Cornelison
Prev 12 of 12 Next
Prev 1 of 12 Next

Bruschetta

It's one of the simplest party foods to make: Top a small slice of Italian bread with a gorgeous mixture of tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and basil and voila -- you've got bruschetta. And though that piece of bread doesn't yield much nutritional value, the marriage of tomatoes and olive oil scores top marks for disease prevention. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found to ward off cancer and heart disease. You've no doubt heard about the healthy fats found in olive oil -- well, in addition, that oil actually helps your body absorb some of the nutrients in the tomatoes, says Melinda Johnson, RD, National Spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 2 of 12 Next

Smoked Salmon on Toasts

In a word: omega-3s. These essential fatty acids are found only in a few foods, and salmon is one of the richest sources out there. Omega-3s help keep blood pressure down, maintain healthy cholesterol levels, stave off heart disease, and if that's not enough, they give your skin that healthy, dewy glow. The American Heart Association recommends eating an omega-3 source twice a week, so helping yourself to this delicious party snack means one more thing you can cross off of your "to do" list.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 3 of 12 Next

Salsa

If you've got your choice of several dip options, this one should win every time. Gracias, Mexico, for contributing this incredibly tasty finger food to cocktail parties the world over, saving health-minded party goers mucho calories. Salsa's main ingredients -- tomatoes, peppers, and lime -- are all jam-packed with vitamins A and C, loaded with fiber, and super low-calorie.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 4 of 12 Next

Guacamole

Avocado plays the starring role in guacamole, which is why it's loaded with heart-healthy fats and valuable nutrients such as beta-sitosterol, a natural plant sterol which can decrease your levels of bad cholesterol. However, this dish is sometimes made with cream cheese, the saturated fat content of which can outweigh the unsaturated fats in the avocado. Johnson's advice: If you are unsure of the guac's contents, stick to just a few small spoonfuls to satisfy the craving and move on.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 5 of 12 Next

Shrimp Cocktail

Jumbo on protein and skimpy on fat and calories, this little crustacean may just be the best party appetizer there is. With just a few shrimp on your plate, you are less likely to gorge on the fattier options presenting themselves to you, because protein keeps you satisfied for longer. Shrimp also contains the mineral zinc, a rarity in finger food, which helps promote a strong immune system. As for the cocktail sauce, don't overdo it. Bottled sauces often contain unhealthy amounts of sugar. Try dipping them in salsa instead.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 6 of 12 Next

Vegetables and Dip

Here's an ultra-safe strategy for party munching: load up three-quarters of your plate with the veggies from the crudite platter. You'll be so busy chowing down on carotenoids, which are strong sources of vitamin A, that you'll forget how healthy you're being. And here's the bonus: You don't have to totally forgo that creamy ranch dip. Studies show that adding a little bit of fat to your veggies helps the body absorb the nutrients in the healthy selections you've made. "Don't stay away from the dip entirely, just don't douse your vegetables with it," says Johnson.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 7 of 12 Next

Chicken Kabobs

Play the following party game: pick up sticks. Of chicken, that is. The meat contained in this Asian-inspired appetizer is usually skinless and grilled, and therefore contains few calories or fat. Plus, the most popular seasoning is a teriyaki glaze, which flavors the meat with less than a teaspoon of sugar. Just one ounce of chicken from this app will give you almost 9 grams of protein, keeping you satisfied enough not to reach for those tempting pigs-in-a-blanket.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 8 of 12 Next

Sushi

"This is a low-fat item that, because of the white rice, will keep you satisfied," says Johnson. The pieces with salmon or tuna inside deliver those coveted omega-3s, but even the fishless variety contains a healthy slice of cucumber or other veggie. The seaweed that hugs the rice, called nori, also packs a nutritious punch, as it contains minerals from the sea. Just make sure the sushi at the party is the freshest possible -- take a pass if it's been sitting out since you walked in. Also steer clear if the pieces are fried (tempura) or contain cream cheese.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 9 of 12 Next

Fruit and Cheese

Women require 1000mg of calcium a day, which is all the more reason to hang out by the cheese platter. One or two good-size cheddar cheese chunks will give you roughly 120mg, but they do add up in the fat and calorie department, so don't go nuts. Hard cheeses like cheddar yield more calcium -- and more calories -- than soft cheeses like brie or goat. For fruit, load up on strawberries, pineapples, or kiwis for an extra wallop of vitamin C and an immunity boost.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 10 of 12 Next

Red Wine

If the guy at the bar is monopolizing the conversation with his extensive knowledge of pinots, cabernets, and merlots, here's a little fact to throw in: Red wine is chock-full of polyphenol, a compound found in the skin of red grapes that aids circulation, lowers blood pressure, and promotes overall heart health. Sweeter wines will have a few more calories than the dry varietals, as will those with higher alcohol content (around 14 to 15 percent). Cut your calories in half by ordering a spritzer -- half wine, half seltzer.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

Prev 11 of 12 Next

Mixed Nuts

Unless the mix is honey-roasted (and therefore coated in sugar), you can consider the nut bowl fair game. Indulging in a few small scoops of plain nuts can give you a nice dose of vitamins, fiber, and protein to keep you full. If you spy some sunflower or pumpkin seeds in there, even better -- they're high in vitamin E, which works wonders for circulation, skin, and even PMS.

Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, November 2008.

What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.

What do you think? Review this slideshow!

8167681668
boop372 wrote:

I can't get the recipe - only the picture and blurb

12/19/2013 01:28:24 PM Report Abuse
a3984502 wrote:

Right now I am following the Diet Plan for You blog by nutrition specialist Kate Hill. Kate helped me lose weight in a healthy way in few weeks, without starving! If you want to lose weight, just visit Kate's blog at: http://dietplanforyou.blogspot.com

2/2/2012 02:27:51 AM Report Abuse
sailbelladonna1 wrote:

So, you say not to eat tuna tartare when it is served on bread, but tell us that bruschetta is ok?!?!

12/19/2011 12:24:11 PM Report Abuse
chrismeadows1 wrote:

When using the print all slides option we need them to print as seperate pages so they can be kept and used for future reference!

11/28/2011 02:33:54 AM Report Abuse
tom&kathy wrote:

I agree...too time consuming to look at..so I end up deleting all of it and continue on with my other e-mails!

5/2/2011 04:58:41 PM Report Abuse
samhodges1 wrote:

"print all slides" used to work, but it's apparently not there anymore. since it's been gone, I just don't bother. I don't have the time!

11/15/2010 08:59:20 AM Report Abuse
cumminsnicole1 wrote:

If you click on print all slides underneath the pictures you can see them all at once!! It doesn't automatically print them all when you push that!

12/30/2009 04:40:03 PM Report Abuse
wsduffy wrote:

I like the slide shows, I don't like the fact that it takes 5 minutes to load every time you click a page. Can't you guys upgrade it so it slides easily while staying on the same page?

12/23/2009 12:54:50 PM Report Abuse
hendri2 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.

12/22/2009 05:24:14 PM Report Abuse
debkonke wrote:

I totally agree! A list or at least thumbnails so you can see it all at a glance!

12/22/2009 11:21:08 AM Report Abuse
rachconnelly wrote:

I never have time to get through all the slides either. But I do love the articles. One long page would be so much better...

12/22/2009 10:57:42 AM Report Abuse
cfar wrote:

I agree too. I look at the first slide and see that it's a slide show, let out a deep sigh of dread and continue on if I have time.

12/19/2009 04:30:08 PM Report Abuse
smclaugh3 wrote:

Me, too! I want to see all the recipes listed at least with links to the recipe. I don't have time to go through a whole slideshow to see if there are any that I'm interested in so most of the time I don't bother to look!!

12/17/2009 09:20:32 AM Report Abuse
shurkins1 wrote:

I agree

12/11/2009 11:29:41 PM Report Abuse
sankara1 wrote:

I wish I could just get the whole list at one view instead of having to forward to each slide.

12/11/2009 04:34:37 PM Report Abuse

Add your comment


You must be logged in to leave a comment. Register | Log In

Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."

Todays Daily Prize
More Smart Savings
Fitness Magazine on Facebook

Go Shopping