Curried Summer Vegetable Medley With Coconut Rice
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 15 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 baby eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Combine the rice, 1-2/3 cups water, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is almost tender.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook 1 minute.
3. Pour vegetable stock, remaining coconut milk and the bell pepper and eggplant into skillet; stir to combine. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and salt and the black pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the lime zest and lime juice.
4. Spoon rice onto serving plates and top with curried vegetables. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)