Curried Summer Vegetable Medley With Coconut Rice
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 15 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 baby eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Combine the rice, 1-2/3 cups water, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is almost tender.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook 1 minute.
3. Pour vegetable stock, remaining coconut milk and the bell pepper and eggplant into skillet; stir to combine. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and salt and the black pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the lime zest and lime juice.
4. Spoon rice onto serving plates and top with curried vegetables. Garnish with cilantro if desired.