Turkey Sausage Cassoulet
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch salt plus more to taste
- 4 uncooked turkey sausage links
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 16 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup whole-grain panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and the shallots, onion and pinch of salt to the pot; saute 5 to 10 minutes and then turn off heat.
2. In a small pan, cook the sausage until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside; once cool, slice into 1-inch pieces and add to onion mixture.
3. Add the sweet potato, squash, vegetable broth, thyme, sage and beans to Dutch oven; stir.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the panko, Parmesan and remaining olive oil; season with salt and black pepper to taste and sprinkle over sausage mixture. Cover and bake 30 minutes.
5. Uncover and bake 15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)