Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 15 ounce cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14 1/2ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, cut into tiny pieces
1. In a soup pot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
2. Add the turkey and saute 5 minutes or until no longer pink, crumbling the meat with a spoon as it cooks. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, cocoa powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in the chocolate and simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.