Spicy Steak Salad
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound London broil
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves plus additional for garnish
- 1 small red jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon lime zest, chili powder, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; rub mixture on London broil.
2. Heat a cast-iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Add steak and cook until medium rare, 5 to 6 minutes a side. Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together remaining oil, sugar, lime juice, lime zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cucumber, apples, jicama, onion, cilantro and jalapeno to bowl and toss to coat. Divide among four plates.
4. Slice London broil against the grain into thin strips and divide among four salads. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.