Spicy Sausage-and-Pepper Pasta
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces hot Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 small Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in sausage and cook, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, until meat begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in onion, bell pepper, Italian sea-soning, red pepper flakes and salt and cook, stirring often, until vegetables start to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes and wine, increase heat to high and cook until sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return pasta to pot, add sauce to pasta and toss to coat; stir in basil.