Speedy Shrimp and Orzo Paella
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons jarred pimentos, diced
- 1 cup uncooked whole-wheat orzo
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 cup frozen green peas
1. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, shrimp and paprika. Cook until shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer shrimp to a plate and set aside.
2. Heat remaining oil in same skillet. Add onion and pimentos and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add orzo and toast 2 minutes, stirring once. Stir in chicken broth, saffron, salt and pepper. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add sherry, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Remove skillet from heat; add peas and shrimp and toss to combine until peas are warmed through, about 2 minutes.