Smoky Black Bean Soup With Chicken Sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 3 ounce link precooked spicy chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage in a single layer; cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
2. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and oregano; saute 1 minute more. Stir in beans, broth and chipotle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine sour cream, lime zest, 1 teaspoon lime juice and honey in a small bowl.
4. Transfer 1 1/2 cups soup to a blender and puree. Stir puree back into soup; add sausage. Stir in remaining lime juice and season with salt to taste. Serve and top with lime sour cream.