Sizzled Flank Steak With Peppers and Goat Cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and minced thyme; saute 8 minutes. Stir in vermouth, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Lower heat and continue cooking 8 minutes more. Cover and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, pat steak dry and season both sides with remaining salt and pepper. Heat a large grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat; add steak and cook 4 minutes. Flip steak and cook 3 to 4 minutes more for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes; cut across the grain into thin slices.
3. Divide onion-and-pepper mixture among four dinner plates and top each with steak slices. Sprinkle with goat cheese and garnish with a thyme sprig.