- cal. (kcal) 239
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 8
jumbo shrimp, (6-8 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on (see Ingredient Note)
lemon juice, divided
extra-virgin olive oil
medium bulb fennel, cored and finely chopped
scallions, thinly sliced
small chile pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano, seeded and minced
Chardonnay, preferably Greek
crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (or "saganaki" pan) over medium heat. Add fennel, scallions and chile pepper and cook, stirring, until soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in wine. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Place the shrimp on top of the fennel mixture, cover and cook until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, feta and pepper to the pan and stir until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Serve the shrimp atop the fennel mixture.
- Tip: Ingredient note: Shrimp is usually sold by the number needed to make 1 pound. For example, "6-8 count" means there will be 6 to 8 shrimp in a pound. Shrimp that size are usually labeled "jumbo." Prawns will also work well in this recipe.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 239 cal., 9 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 227 mg chol., 631 mg sodium, 8 g carb. (2 g fiber), 26 g pro.