Seared-Shrimp Salad With Crispy Shallots
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
- 2 butter or Boston lettuce heads, leaves separated and torn
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, halved lengthwise, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and 3 tablespoons oil.
2. Place flour and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small ziplock bag. Add shallot, seal bag and dredge to coat.
3. Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot to pan; saute until golden, 2 minutes a side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
4. In a medium bowl, toss together lettuce, basil and radishes and divide among four plates; top each with an equal amount of avocado.
5. Pat dry shrimp and season with remaining salt and pepper. Wipe skillet clean, coat with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sear until just cooked through, 2 minutes a side. Remove shrimp from pan and divide among four salads. Drizzle each with dressing and top with crispy shallots.