Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- 6 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 2 15 ounces cans salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 scallions, divided
- 1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup recipe Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce (see recipe below)
1. Remove crusts from bread, break into pieces, and process in a food processor until they become fine crumbs.
2. In a large bowl, flake apart salmon with a fork. Add eggs and mix well. Finely chop 4 scallions and add to the bowl, followed by water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and bread crumbs. Mix well.
3. Shape the mixture into 12 patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties in batches and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
4. Chop remaining scallion. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and garnish with scallion.
Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt or 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
1. If using regular yogurt, place it in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the yogurt drain and thickened. In a small bowl, combine the thickened or Greek-style yogurt with mayonnaise, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Whisk until smooth.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)