Crunchy Chicken Taco Salad
- 2 small corn tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallions
- 1 jalapeno (seeds and veins removed for less heat if desired), minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound shredded cabbage
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 navel orange, peeled, quartered and sliced crosswise
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 3 ounces crumbled queso fresco or ricotta salata
1. Lightly coat the tortillas with the cooking spray on both sides; lay on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Place under the broiler or in a toaster oven and cook, watching closely and turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer tortillas to a cutting board and slice into thin strips; let cool.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, scallions, jalapeno and remaining salt. Add the chicken, cabbage, bell pepper, orange and corn; toss well.
3. To serve, mound the salad in shallow bowls. Top with the cilantro, avocado and cheese. Garnish with crisped tortilla strips and serve immediately.