Mushroom and Asparagus Fettuccine
- 8 ounces dried fettuccine or linguine
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups sliced fresh shiitake or crimini mushrooms
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced, or 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup mushroom broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook fettuccine or linguine according to package directions, adding asparagus the last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking; drain. Return pasta mixture to saucepan; cover and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook mushrooms, leek, and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in broth, half-and-half, salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in tomatoes, basil, and oregano; heat through.
3. Spoon the mushroom mixture over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. Divide among 4 bowls or dinner plates. Sprinkle with pine nuts and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.