Apple-Ginger Oat-Bran Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins View Nutrition Facts
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped unpeeled apple
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon extra-light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped unpeeled apple
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line the cups of a standard muffin pan with paper liners or coat cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine next 7 dry ingredients. Make a well in the center; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine milk with next 5 ingredients. Pour mixture into well and stir until batter is still slightly lumpy.
5. Pour into muffin pan.To make topping:
6. In a bowl, combine flour and cinnamon. Stir in oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in apple. Sprinkle over batter.
7. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a rack; remove from pan to cool completely.