Fettuccine with Spicy Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, roughly crumbled
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough stems trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 9 ounce package fresh fettuccine
- 1/4 cup plus 4 tsp freshly grated pecorino Romano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking up large chunks with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe and cook, tossing with tongs, 1 minute. Add broth, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until broccoli rabe is tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and add to sausage mixture; toss well with tongs. Add 1/4 cup cheese and black pepper and toss well again. Divide among four bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese.