- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1/4 teaspoon plus pinch salt
- 1 bunch chard, stems removed, chopped
- 2 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- Pinch dried cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole-grain baguette, toasted and rubbed with garlic (optional)
1. Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook, stirring a few times, until shallots are translucent, about 6 minutes.
2. Mix in the chard, tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable stock, and cayenne; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove thyme and season stew with the lemon juice. Add the pinch of salt and the black pepper to taste; serve with garlic toasts if desired.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)