Wide Noodles with Chicken & Lima Beans
- 8 ounces dried pappardelle or mafalda pasta, fettuccine, or wide egg noodles
- 1 10 ounce package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 14 1/2ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Snipped fresh chives (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding lima beans to the water with pasta. Drain pasta and beans; return to saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, place undrained tomatoes in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until pureed; set aside.
3. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. For sauce, in a large skillet cook chicken, onion, and pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes and chicken broth. Simmer about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in cream; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more or until sauce is desired consistency.
4. Pour sauce over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. Transfer pasta mixture to a warm serving dish. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chives.
TipSubstitute lasagna noodles
- for the suggested pasta, if you like. Cook them according to package directions. Drain and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. (If you use frozen lasagna noodles, cook the beans separately because they will cook longer than the noodles.)