Pumpkin and Chicken Sausage "Risotto"
- 2 cups 1-inch-cubed pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground dried sage
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 ounces spicy chicken sausage links
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 3 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken stock
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix pumpkin, 1 tablespoon oil and sage. Coat a medium roasting pan with cooking spray, add pumpkin and top with sausage. Roast 15 minutes; turn sausage over and roast 15 minutes more. Remove from oven. Put pumpkin aside and reserve; place sausages on a plate and let cool, about 7 minutes. Slice into 1/2-inch rounds; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, rinse and drain farro. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to a simmer. In a large pot, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in farro.
3. Add wine to farro; cook until absorbed, about 7 minutes. Stir in 2 ladles chicken stock. Cover, leaving the lid cracked, and bring to a gentle simmer. When stock is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes, add 2 more ladles stock, stir and cover, keeping lid cracked. Repeat the process until all stock has been used and almost completely absorbed. Remove pot from heat and stir in Parmesan. Cover and let risotto rest 5 minutes. Stir in sausage, pumpkin and chopped parsley; serve.