Cauliflower, Lentil and Chicken Curry
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 15 ounce can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Whole-wheat flatbread (optional)
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; saute until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes a side. Set aside.
2. Add remaining oil to pan; reduce heat to medium. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add ginger, jalapeno and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add coriander and cumin and stir 1 minute. Mix in cauliflower, tomatoes, brown sugar, remaining salt and water; bring to a simmer, cover and cook 8 minutes.
3. Shred chicken and add to pan along with lentils and garam masala. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving. Serve with flatbread if desired.