Your Better-Sex Workout: Why Try It?
- One study revealed that 88 percent of women who exercised five times per week rated themselves as way above average between the sheets.
- By working on all the right muscles, you will boost your energy level, build core strength, and become more flexible, according to Damon Roxas, national director of training and fitness for Crunch Fitness, who created this workout.
What you'll need: A mat and a sturdy chair
Your Better-Sex Workout: Improve Energy
Try: Mountain Climber with Reverse Crunch
- Start in full push-up position.
- Pull right knee toward chest, return to start, then switch legs, keeping abs tight.
- Continue quickly alternating sides for 30 seconds.
- Lie faceup on floor with legs extended, hands behind head, feet lifted 6 inches.
- Lift hips, bringing knees toward chest while crunching upper body toward knees. Lower.
- Do 10 to 15 reps. Repeat sequence 5 times.
Why it works: This move increases stamina. "Most of us are so exhausted that we find ourselves choosing between sleep and sex on a regular basis," says Laura Berman, PhD, author of The Passion Prescription: 10 Weeks to Your Best Sex Ever. With more energy, guess what choice you'll make.
Your Better-Sex Workout: Build Core Strength
- Lie faceup on floor, legs together and extended above hips.
- Slowly lift hips slightly off floor while twisting lower body to right, keeping upper body still. Return to center, lower hips, then repeat to left.
- Do 20 twists, alternating sides. Lower legs.
Why it works: "Core moves help control the all-important pelvic muscles you use during sex," says Berman.
Your Better-Sex Workout: Gain Flexibility
Try: Hip flexor/quad stretch
Targets: Hips and quads
- Start on all fours, hands in line with shoulders, knees under hips.
- Step left foot forward between hands, knee bent 90 degrees; lift upper body.
- Keeping chest up, push right hip/quad forward. Grasp right foot with right hand and pull toward butt. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Switch sides; repeat.
Why it works: Stretching poses can help you get into some, um, creative positions, says Berman.
Your Better-Sex Workout: "O" Insurance
Try: Bridge pose
- Lie faceup on floor, knees bent.
- Squeeze glutes and engage abs and pelvic muscles. Lift hips, forming a diagonal line from knees to head. Lower; don't let butt touch floor. Do 15 reps.
- Next, exhale to tilt pelvis forward, keeping lower back on floor (not shown). Inhale to lower. Do 15 reps.
Why it works: "The stronger your pelvic-floor muscles are, the stronger your contractions and the better your orgasms will be," says Berman.
Your Better-Sex Workout: Heighten Sensation Down There
Try: Single-leg dip/jumping jack
- Stand in front of chair with feet hip-width apart.
- Step up on seat with right foot, left foot hanging off. Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping left foot hanging. Hold for 15 seconds. Step down. Switch legs; repeat.
- Do 10 jumping jacks.
- Repeat sequence 5 times, resting for 1 minute in between.