9 Surprising Diabetes Risks
Pages in this Story:
- 1. Watching two hours or more of TV daily
- 2. Drinking one soda a day
- 3. Skipping breakfast
- 4. A bout of major depression
- 5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
- 6. Waking up in the middle of the night
- 7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
- 8. High stress
- 9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
Raises your risk: 330 percent
How: Scientists suggest that the fat in your abdomen (aka visceral fat) produces compounds hat make cells insulin-resistant. According to the American Heart Association, women should try to keep their waist size below 35 inches.
The fix: Do 30 to 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise three to five times a week. "This can melt belly fat better than dieting," says Jill Kanaley, PhD, an exercise physiologist at Syracuse University.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)