9 Surprising Diabetes Risks
Pages in this Story:
- 1. Watching two hours or more of TV daily
- 2. Drinking one soda a day
- 3. Skipping breakfast
- 4. A bout of major depression
- 5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
- 6. Waking up in the middle of the night
- 7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
- 8. High stress
- 9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
2. Drinking one soda a day
Raises your risk: 83 percent
How: Soda's got extra (empty!) calories, which can easily lead to weight gain. Women in Harvard's Nurses' Health Study who had one or more regular sodas daily gained about 10 pounds in four years.
The fix: Switch to water, diet soda or, even better, unsweetened tea, which research shows may actually protect against the disease.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.