10 Reasons You're Healthier Than You Think
Pages in this Story:
- 1. You hang out with friends two or three times a week.
- 2. You drink three cups of coffee a day.
- 3. You rented Wedding Crashers -- again -- this past weekend.
- 4. You never sleep for eight hours.
- 5. You take your lunch hour.
- 6. You brush twice a day.
- 7. You wear a sports bra when you work out.
- 8. You read the newspaper this morning.
- 9. You had sex last night.
- 10. You eat cereal for breakfast.
3. You rented Wedding Crashers -- again -- this past weekend.
Go ahead, crack up: Laughter can actually be as healthy for you as exercise. A study published this past February in the British Medical Journal found that watching a funny movie (There's Something About Mary) made viewers' blood vessels expand more effectively, while a stressful film (Saving Private Ryan) caused vessels to narrow, restricting blood flow. "When you laugh, your body releases endorphins, chemicals that help counteract the effects of stress," says Lee Berk, a professor and laughter researcher at Loma Linda University's School of Public Health and Medicine in California.
Top That: Having a crazy day at work? Close your eyes and visualize yourself at home watching your favorite comedy. Berk's research has found that just anticipating a humorous event can boost your mood by increasing the body's production of endorphins as much as 25 percent.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.