Throwing a party just got a whole lot easier with these healthy recipe ideas from celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Rollups
A lighted-up version of a comfort food favorite, perfect for small gatherings all year round.
Prep: 30 minutes
8 slices light wheat bread (such as Pepperidge Farm Light Style Extra Fiber or 7-Grain)
6 ounces deli-sliced smoked chicken breast
2 ounces deli-sliced low-sodium ham
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
4 ounce block 75 percent reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 16 even strips
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
2 large Belgian endives, cut in half and sliced 1/2 inch thick lengthwise
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, quartered, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Lay two slices of bread on a clean work surface. Overlap the curved tops of the bread slices by 1 inch. Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread slices into very thin rectangles, adding extra pressure to the overlapped areas. Repeat with the remaining bread slices to make 4 total rectangles.
- Top the bread rectangles evenly with sliced chicken, then the ham, being sure to cover the surface of the bread evenly with each addition. Divide 1 tablespoon of the mustard between the rollups, spreading it evenly over the ham.
- Stack 4 strips of cheese lengthwise along one short end of each rollup. Roll each up like a carpet, making it as tight as possible. Once it is rolled, wrap each roll tightly with a piece of parchment paper.
- Place the rolls on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Unwrap each roll and place in the pan. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned, rolling them around to brown evenly.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining 1 tablespoon of mustard, the vinegar, and the tarragon. Add the endive and apple slices and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, then divide between 4 serving plates. Once cheese is coming out the sides of the rolls and the bread is browned, place the rollups on a cutting board.
- Cut each roll into 4 to 6 pieces and divide evenly among the plates.
Nutrition information per serving: 231 calories; 4g fat; 33mg cholesterol; 27g carbohydrate; 23g protein; 6g fiber; 1,070mg sodium
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.