- Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
The Ultimate Ab Workout Plan: Week 5 Exercise Instructions
Here, instructions for all of the exercises in week 5 of the 6-Week Ultimate Ab Workout Plan. Print and go!
(You'll need a stability ball.)
- Take an exercise ball and lie on top of it with your shins on the ball and your palms on the floor under your shoulders.
- Now use your abs and legs to roll the ball to the middle, lifting your hips and keeping your head down between your arms. Your body should be in an inverted V-shape. Hold here for 1 count, then roll back to the start.
- You'll do 10 to 12 reps. Be sure to pull your abs in, and keep your head even with your spine as you move in and out of the "V". This move works your abs and your lower back.
- Come down to all fours. Keeping your abs engaged, slowly raise your left arm forward to shoulder height and lift your right leg straight behind you to hip height. Hold there for 2 or 3 counts.
- Then lower back down and do the other side, right arm, left leg. Complete the set with 8 to 12 reps on each side.
- Keep your abs pulled in throughout this exercise.
- Lie down on your back, lift your legs off the floor, and press the soles of your feet together.
- Press your palms together, straighten your arms, and reach through your legs. Your shoulder blades should lift off the floor. Pulse forward as you reach, exhaling each time. Do 20 pulses.
- Your upper body should hover off the floor the whole time as you use your ab muscles to pulse forward.
- For the second circuit of this exercise, hold a light dumbbell and pulse forward 20 times. Take a short breather and then do 20 more pulses with 2 dumbbells for your third and final set of the frog reach-through.
- Lie down on your back. Place your hands behind your head, elbows wide.
- Pulling in your abs, lift your head, neck, and shoulders off the floor. Then lift your legs straight up. Now twist your right shoulder over to your left leg as you lower your right leg.
- Come back to the center, then twist your left shoulder to your right leg as you lower your left leg. Scissor back and forth for 20 counts, then lower back to start.
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, July 2009.
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.