1. Supine Single-Leg Bridge
Target: Glutes, hamstrings
- Lie faceup on floor with feet hip-width apart on a step, bench or stair, arms extended at sides with palms down.
- Lift left leg toward ceiling.
- Pressing right heel into step, lift hips off floor; hold for 5 counts.
- Lower and repeat 5 times.
- Switch sides.
Target: Abs, glutes, quads, hamstrings
3. Pull-Through with Resistance Band
- Stand about 12 inches away from a chair.
- Lift your right leg and with right hand grasp right foot in front of you.
- Find your balance, then slowly bend left leg, bringing butt toward chair.
- Straighten left leg and return to starting position; repeat 4 to 8 times. (Note: You may need to bring your arm in front of you to maintain balance.)
- Switch legs.
Target: Glutes, hips, quads
- Tie a resistance band or tube to a stationary object near the floor, such as a table leg.
- Straddle the band, facing away from its anchor, holding the end in both hands.
- Keep your knees slightly bent and your back straight.
- Bend your knees, bringing your hands through your legs, then stand up tall, pushing your hips forward and contracting your glutes.
- Pause for 2 counts.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat 12 to 15 times.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, January 2007.