I saw this quote on a blog I read quite often and it really spoke to me:
Love, love, love this! How many of us are stuck doing the same old thing because it is “comfortable?” Do you think the caterpillar is miserable being a caterpillar? No…that’s all he knows. He doesn’t even know what is coming.
I was comfortable being fat. I didn’t even know what I was missing.
It was comfortable to come home every day, lay down on the couch and nap for two-three hours.
It was comfortable for me to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted.
It was comfortable for me to never exercise.
However, comfort isn’t always the best way.
I was missing out on life. Life was literally passing me by one day at a time.
Here is a perfect example. My honeymoon, in St. Lucia. My new husband wanted to go hike a mountain. Hike a mountain? I weighed close to 300 pounds.
I wasn’t going to hike any mountain! So, he went by himself. I made my husband hike a mountain, by himself, on our honeymoon, because I was not physically able to do it.
Talk about missing out on life.
Now, I am a butterfly. It is not comfortable to have to plan meals constantly. But it keeps me on track.
It is not comfortable to have to train for half marathons. But the feeling of accomplishment crossing the finish line is worth every second of training.
But…you know what? It feels damn good. I am finally living life and loving it.
I am finally becoming a butterfly!
Are you living your best life or are you being a caterpillar who is capable of so much more?
After my workout today, I wanted something other than a protein shake. I wanted ice cream. I was hot and sweaty and I just wanted to sit down with a big old sundae and indulge.
However, I did NOT want to undo all the hard work I had just put in on the treadmill So, I made an executive decision. I would take my knowledge of what is good after a workout, banana and protein powder. I would combine these two things and make a healthy post workout snack and STILL give in to my sundae craving.
Here is what I created:
Not only did it taste A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but it was only 3 Weight Watchers points plus for the entire sundae!
That is fewer than my famous Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake!
You simply must try this. You don’t even have to workout to enjoy this one. If you didn’t just finish a workout but just want it for a treat, just eliminate the protein powder. It will still work. Hey…you can even get crazy and add in your own “mix-ins.” Just make sure you count them!
Without further ado…the recipe!
Chocolate Protein “Sundae”
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3 points plus (Plus additional toppings)
One frozen banana
One scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (I use Designer Whey)
Milk of Choice (I used half and half because it was all I had)
In a blender, food process, or Ninja, combine all of the ingredients.
Pulse until the banana is crumbly. Mix with a spoon to incorporate.
Then, wait for the magic to happen. As you continue to pulse the food processor, the banana will turn soft like “soft serve.” If you find that it is too thick, add a little more milk. I probably used a total of 2 Tbsp half and half in mine.
Scoop out, top with fat free whipped cream, light syrup and sprinkles (all optional of course!).
Enjoy the heck out of this one. You deserve it!
What a few of our Fitteratis have been up to…
- Katie is involved in a cool project in which 12 formerly overweight strangers will attempt to run a 200 mile relay… — kickstarter.com
- Ali biked 100+ miles, aka a “Crohn’s disease miracle!” —Ali on the Run
- How to wear white after Labor Day? Courtney answers the question on many fashionistas’ minds —Sweet Tooth Sweet Life
- Jennifer figures out how to eat Chick-fil-A three time a day without going over her Weight Watchers points —It Sux to Be Fat
- Meanwhile, Callie asks a great question: If you’ve been pregnant more than once, how did your pregnancies differ? —The Wannabe Athlete
- Speaking of babies…Caitlin shared her insights and “review” of natural childbirth —Healthy Tipping Point
Last week was the Fourth of July and many families went on vacations and trips out of town to visit family or friends. Many people allow themselves to “take a break” from healthy eating when on vacation. Maybe they feel like they “deserve” a vacation from all things, including watching portion sizes and counting calories.
A few weeks ago, I was on vacation in Destin. It was a great week but I didn’t focus on my eating like I should. This week, I am planning to get back on track and get focused once again on my goals.
If you are one of those people who tends to “take a break” from healthy living while on vacation, here are 3 ways you can get back on track after vacation (or even just after taking some time off from your healthiness goals).
1. START – I know this seems simple but if we don’t start, or if we put it off until tomorrow, we will never start. Tomorrow never comes! Pick a day (today) and start now!
2. GET MOVING – Make an exercise goal and stick with it. When we are feeling bad from poor eating on vacation, nothing can release better endorphines than a good walk/run. Just go at least 10-20 minutes a day and you will have a better outlook on getting back on track!
3. TELL SOMEONE – Accountability is so important. Tell a close friend or relative that today you are going to start eating better and exercising. Call them each night and tell them how you did or maybe even have them call you (if we haven’t done so well, we might not want to call). If you have an accountability partner, you are more likely to stick to the plan!
The main thing you can do is just do it. Just go ahead and start TODAY because You-Are-Worth-It!
Jennifer writes about weekly weigh ins, healthy recipes, product reviews, and weight loss at It Sux To Be Fat. Follow her journey on Twitter or Facebook as she goes through life’s ups and downs and takes her new healthy lifestyle one day at a time.