Actors and musicians don’t take a winter hiatus from their workout routines—in fact they often amp up the intensity since awards show season basically spans the first two months of the year. You too can sculpt a red carpet-ready shape with these tips from celebrity trainer Nathan Mellalieu! He has worked out with film casts (X-Men, The A Team, Get Smart and more) and has several high-profile clients, including Anne Hathaway, Olivia Wilde, Ashley Greene, Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck.
Tone your total body by kicking and punching. “Kickboxing helped Ashley Greene get in vampire shape for Twilight,” Mellalieu says. He recommends an hour of kickboxing three times a week and suggest including jabs and jab-cross combinations for the core and upper body as well as front and roundhouse kicks for the core and lower body. Click here to learn how to do these moves and more!
Challenge yourself with body weight. Knocking out one pull-up is a great goal for women, Mellalieu says, but by starting with this variation, he helped Olivia Wilde work up to completing five unassisted pull-ups by the end of training for Tron: Legacy.
- Loop a sturdy resistance band over a secured bar and lean back so your body is at a 45 degree angle, with arms extended and palms facing chest.
- Slowly pull yourself up until hands are parallel with chest, then relax all the way down.
- Keep adding reps until your muscles feel fully fatigued.
Try multitasking moves. “You can maximize the efficiency of your workouts by working multiple muscle groups at the same time, which keeps your heart rate up. Anne Hathaway did moves like these to tone her body for Get Smart,” Mellalieu says.
- Modified Thruster
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold a pair of dumbbells at face height with palms facing in.
- Keep spine straight and most of weight in heels and bend knees to complete a squat.
- As you return to standing position, press arms overhead with palms facing in.
- Reverse Lunge with Lateral Raise
- With hands at sides, palms facing in, step back into a reverse lunge until front knee is at about a 90-degree angle.
- While lowering, lift arms out to sides until they’re parallel with shoulders.
- Curl and Press
- Hold dumbbells with arms at sides, palms facing forward.
- Keep a slight bend in knees, curl weights to chest, then press arms overhead.
Anne Hathaway photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Now tell us: Which red carpet star would you like to train with?