We’ve been thinking a lot about our backsides the past few months here at FITNESS, as our team put together part one of our “Body Lab” to help you get a butt that defies gravity (see the February issue for more!).
While we work hard in the gym to sculpt a better behind, we don’t complain when we get a little help from a particularly flattering pair of pants. The minute we slipped on the GapFit gFast Color Binding Leggings ($60, gap.com), we fell in love with their comfy fit and cute colors. And after testing them out in a strength class at DavidBartonGym to celebrate GapFit’s new line, we knew they would be mainstays in our workout wardrobes. The fabric is just thick enough for cool morning runs, but doesn’t feel too heavy for the gym.
If you’re feeling a bit timid about rocking these leggings, add these three moves from DavidBartonGym trainer Meka to your workout three times each week, and soon you’ll be loving your rear view!
You’ll need: 5- to 8-pound dumbbells
Front squat and press
- Stand with legs shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells at sides
- Lower into a squat keeping weight on heels, then return to standing while curling arms to shoulders, palms facing in, then pushing dumbbells into an overhead press, palms facing forward
- Lower arms back to sides and repeat sequence for one minute
- Stand with right leg elevated behind you on a step bench or stair and left leg about three feet in front of the surface, holding dumbbells at sides
- Slowly lower until left knee is at nearly 90 degrees, with knee behind toes
- Hold for one count, return to balancing weight on left leg and repeat for 30 seconds
- Switch sides and repeat split squats with right leg in front for 30 seconds
Reverse into stationary lunge
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding dumbbells at sides
- Lunge backward with right leg until right knee is about one inch above the ground (Keep torso perpendicular to floor and weight distributed evenly between legs. Align front knee over front ankle, keeping weight in heels rather than toes.)
- Lunge backward with left leg, and alternate sides for 30 seconds
- Hold with right foot in back position of the lunge and raise/lower lunge without moving feet for 15 seconds
- Switch so left foot is in back position of the lunge and raise/lower lunge without moving feet for final 15 seconds
Now tell us: Which of your body parts do you love the most and why?